3.30.2009

a musical update

Some interesting things have popped up on the radar these last few weeks. I just had my University of Alberta Mixed Chorus concert at the Winspear Centre (where I work!) on the 28th. It went just dandy, other than a few complaints from other choristers. Thankfully my ear isn't developed enough yet to hear these erroneous nuances. Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.

Our conductor sent out a kind e-mail to all of us. At the concert he was presented a gift and a card from the chorus, which appropriately played Motown music from his teen days. In the e-mail, he described a card he thought suitable for all of us:

"You work hard, you laugh hard, you bring dedication and energy to all
that you do. Your kindness, generosity of spirit, and enthusiasm are
all greatly appreciated. The song? I'm leaning toward Queen singing
'We Are the Champions.' It seems quite suitable for all of you!"

Doesn't that make your heart smile? He's definitely one of the kindest, most warm-hearted people I've met. I'm thankful I've had the privilege of meeting so many inspiring and influential music educators in these past few years. They certainly have made a mark on me, and given me something to aspire to as I pursue my music education in these next few years.

As I look to my future, I always find myself flabbergasted (what a fun word) when I consider the fact that I—if everything goes as planned—will one day will be up on the podium conducting some ensemble. Isn't that a scary thought? Maybe I'll be conducting YOUR children some day. Thankfully I have a few years to prepare before that all happens.

Anyways, enough about my dreamy dreams. Sorry for all the mush! Musically, I'm preparing for two upcoming gigs. The first one will be on box drum (aka a Cajón, wikipedia link for picture/info) and possibly a little guitaring. I'm substituting for 'The Martingales' drummer when he's out of town, for an acoustic gig of theirs. I work with one of the members, and let me tell you, they're some great songwriters. Take a look at their MySpace for a sample of what they do. Make sure not to skip 'Manitoba.' The gig is on Friday, April 17 at Hulbert's (near whyte ave, 7601-115 St). Cover is $10. Hope you can make it, it's gonna be a blast.

Secondly, I'm working on guitar with an as-of-yet nameless rock project with a few of my high school buddies. We should have a gig lined up pretty soon, which will most likely be free (yay!). We've got a little bit of Radiohead, mixed in with some classic Weezer, some Sublime, and even a little Hawksley Workman.

Finally, and I know this-is-the-longest-post-ever-oh-god-please-let-it-end, I've been listening to a great guy by the name of Luke Doucet. Here's a link to a music video of one of his best songs, It's Not The Liquor I Miss. It's totally terrific! The feel is just great, it's got some great guitaring, and a Baritone Sax solo! What's not to love?

And here's another feel-good tune, 'Arms Tonite,' this time by Mother Mother. Trust me, these catchy songs will be popping up in your head for days!

And that's it! Trust me, I didn't anticipate for this to be long at all!

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment